Skip to main content

Lineker: Barcelona have been the best since Ronaldinho, Xavi, Iniesta and Messi

Gary Lineker still follows Barcelona to this day and has discussed his former side, along with Lionel Messi and Karim Benzema, stating that the Argentine is the best of all time.
During a three year spell in Spain, Lineker scored 42 goals in 103 LaLiga appearances with the Blaugrana and was the highest scoring British player in league history, before being surpassed by Gareth Bale.
"I love Barcelona," Lineker told Lobo Carrasco in an interview with Mundo Deportivo. "I see all of their games; I am a fan of Barcelona and my four children are too.
"Barcelona have been the best since Ronaldinho, Xavi, [Andres] Iniesta and, above all, Messi.
"Messi is from another world."
The former England striker spoke further about Messi and his admiration for the Argentine.
"He does four or five things in a game that I have never done in my career," said Lineker. "He does amazing things, he's the best of all time.
"I never thought that I'd see someone better than [Diego] Maradona; they say that Maradona won a World Cup and Messi hasn't, but Leo has four Champions League titles and Maradona has none.
"Barcelona play with 13 players because they have Messi."
He was then asked how Spain would have fared if Messi had been nationalised, rather than playing for Argentina.
"I have always thought that if Leo had been nationalised for Spain before making his debut with Argentina, Spain would have won even more: three World Cup titles and three European Championships," said Lineker.
The 57-year-old is well-known for his criticism of Real Madrid striker Karim Benzema as he believes that the Frenchman's goalscoring record should be better.
"He's a great goalscorer and he plays well for the team and for Cristiano Ronaldo," he said.
"For me there are other strikers better than Benzema. I have said everything, but I'm only talking about scoring goals."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'Ronaldo was the best player, no doubts' - Portugal star's FIFA snub surprises Santos

The Juventus forward's national team coach has spoken out over the decision to overlook his captain for Best Player and Best Goal Cristiano Ronaldo was the victim of a double injustice at the Best FIFA Football Awards, according to Portugal coach Fernando Santos, after he missed out on both Best Player and Best Goal. Luka Modric became the first player other than Ronaldo or Lionel Messi to win the Best FIFA Footballer of the Year award since Kaka in 2007. The Croatian captained his side to their first ever World Cup final and was voted the tournament’s best player, picking up the Golden Ball. But Santos has spoken out at the decision to give the midfielder the Player of the Year honour over Ronaldo, suggesting his captain and talisman was unfairly beaten into second place. He is quoted in Marca as saying: “If you ask me if Modric is a great player, I answer yes, and that’s why I voted for Modric in second place. Now, if you ask me who is the be...

Nemanja Matic exclusive: Man Utd must win almost every game but title race isn't over

Nemanja Matic refuses to write off Manchester United's chances in the title race Nemanja Matic says Manchester United are not out of the title race, but admits they must win almost every game for the rest of the season to catch Manchester City. Man Utd's 2-1 defeat by rivals City on Sunday left them 11 points behind the Premier League leaders with just 16 games played. Many have been writing City's rivals off, such is the dominance of Pep Guardiola's unbeaten side, but Matic says there is a long way to go yet. W Brom vs Man Utd He told Soccer Saturday : "The gap is big, obviously 11 points is a lot, but the league is not finished. I'm sure there will be very interesting games until the end, and of course that they will drop some points. We will see what will happen. "As I say there are still many games to play and I th...

Zidane has decided to sell Isco (AS)

The French coach has been disappointed by the player and has decided that if he is to remain at the Bernabeu next season, then Isco is to be sold. Late night Spanish football television show 'El Chiringuito' have reported that if Zidane remains at the Bernabeu next season, one of the French coach priorities will be to sell Isco Alarcon. Journalist Josep Pedrerol maintains that Zidane feels disappointed with the Benalmadena born player after depositing his fail in the creative midfielder following the departure of Colombian international James Rodríguez to Bundesliga side Bayern Munich. Favouritism "Isco was deemed as to more of a pivotal player than Colombian but has had a discreet and underwhelming season so far" claimed Pedrerol, after Zidane asked Florentino Pérez to offload James as he preferred to have Isco in his first-team squad. He continued: "Zidane is ahuge admirer of Isco's style of play and wh...