Skip to main content

Crystal Palace striker Christian Benteke says he let his team-mates down over penalty drama


Christian Benteke missed a late penalty against Bournemouth last weekend
Christian Benteke missed a late penalty against Bournemouth last weekend
Crystal Palace striker Christian Benteke has told his team-mates he let them down when he missed a key penalty in the 2-2 draw with Bournemouth last weekend.
The Belgium international ignored team instructions to take a late spot-kick at Selhurst Park instead of regular penalty taker Luka Milivojevic, who had already scored one in the 41st minute.
Benteke - who has failed to find the net in 12 appearances this season - has been the subject of much criticism since the incident but he is now keen to move on and try to break his goalscoring duck when they play Leicester on Saturday lunchtime, live on Sky Sports.


Crystal Palace boss Roy Hodgson admits that Christian Benteke's current form is a concern but says the striker will continue to work hard to put things right.
"I spoke with the manager first to let him know what really happened, because I just wanted to clarify things with the TV and all of the media talking," he said.
"Then I spoke with the guys and I told them I don't feel sorry for myself, but that I let the team down because we are obviously battling relegation and every point counts for us.
"I said I will keep working hard for them and for myself. I just wanted to take my responsibility [with the penalty]. I don't feel sorry for myself - it happened.

Benteke fluffs late penalty!

Leicester vs C Palace

December 16, 2017, 11:30am
Live on
"There is no issue - it is football and it happens. We have to stick together no matter what. It is a tough time.
"As a striker you want to score, but I just work hard for the team and try to hold up the ball and play, and the goal will come.
"I don't ask a lot of questions of myself, I just accept it is a tough time and work hard and try to help the team. The goal will come."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'Ronaldo was the best player, no doubts' - Portugal star's FIFA snub surprises Santos

The Juventus forward's national team coach has spoken out over the decision to overlook his captain for Best Player and Best Goal Cristiano Ronaldo was the victim of a double injustice at the Best FIFA Football Awards, according to Portugal coach Fernando Santos, after he missed out on both Best Player and Best Goal. Luka Modric became the first player other than Ronaldo or Lionel Messi to win the Best FIFA Footballer of the Year award since Kaka in 2007. The Croatian captained his side to their first ever World Cup final and was voted the tournament’s best player, picking up the Golden Ball. But Santos has spoken out at the decision to give the midfielder the Player of the Year honour over Ronaldo, suggesting his captain and talisman was unfairly beaten into second place. He is quoted in Marca as saying: “If you ask me if Modric is a great player, I answer yes, and that’s why I voted for Modric in second place. Now, if you ask me who is the be...

Nemanja Matic exclusive: Man Utd must win almost every game but title race isn't over

Nemanja Matic refuses to write off Manchester United's chances in the title race Nemanja Matic says Manchester United are not out of the title race, but admits they must win almost every game for the rest of the season to catch Manchester City. Man Utd's 2-1 defeat by rivals City on Sunday left them 11 points behind the Premier League leaders with just 16 games played. Many have been writing City's rivals off, such is the dominance of Pep Guardiola's unbeaten side, but Matic says there is a long way to go yet. W Brom vs Man Utd He told Soccer Saturday : "The gap is big, obviously 11 points is a lot, but the league is not finished. I'm sure there will be very interesting games until the end, and of course that they will drop some points. We will see what will happen. "As I say there are still many games to play and I th...

Zidane has decided to sell Isco (AS)

The French coach has been disappointed by the player and has decided that if he is to remain at the Bernabeu next season, then Isco is to be sold. Late night Spanish football television show 'El Chiringuito' have reported that if Zidane remains at the Bernabeu next season, one of the French coach priorities will be to sell Isco Alarcon. Journalist Josep Pedrerol maintains that Zidane feels disappointed with the Benalmadena born player after depositing his fail in the creative midfielder following the departure of Colombian international James Rodríguez to Bundesliga side Bayern Munich. Favouritism "Isco was deemed as to more of a pivotal player than Colombian but has had a discreet and underwhelming season so far" claimed Pedrerol, after Zidane asked Florentino Pérez to offload James as he preferred to have Isco in his first-team squad. He continued: "Zidane is ahuge admirer of Isco's style of play and wh...