Skip to main content

The Argentine was allegedly drawn into a verbal altercation with a Man City player after Barcelona's defeat on Tuesday

'Messi was in no mood to talk' - Aguero responds to tunnel fight reportsSergio Aguero played down the severity of a reported tunnel bust-up featuring compatriot Lionel Messi following Manchester City's 3-1 Champions League win over Barcelona.
Match Report: Man City 3-1 Barcelona
According to Spanish radio station Cadena Cope, Messi was embroiled in a spat with an unnamed City player that began when the teams left the pitch at the Etihad Stadium.
Messi is alleged to have shouted, "stupid, come here and show your face, don't hide," as his adversary departed into the City dressing room. Man City have dismissed the report as completely untrue.
Aguero and Messi - who opened the scoring before an Ilkay Gundogan brace and Kevin De Bruyne free kick turned the back around for their Group C rivals - are famously close friends but the City striker conceded the conversation was not flowing at full-time.
"No, we haven't talked. Whenever you lose you're not very happy," he told reporters.
"I saw him there, he was feeling bad. I know him well enough to know when he's bad, when he's good. But when you lose, nobody's good."
On the alleged fracas, Aguero said: "[I saw] nothing. I thought Messi said something to me but he didn't, and then we [the other players] talked about other stuff.
"[It was] nothing serious. I heard something but I don't know what happened.
"When someone loses you have to respect them. Leo wasn't in the mood to talk and I respect that."
City manager Pep Guardiola hailed Aguero's contribution to his team's comeback as "awesome", with the 28-year-old revelling in a central role having been left on the bench for a 4-0 defeat at Camp Nou a fortnight ago – a decision over which he maintains he had no qualms.
"I'm never angry. I respect every manager's decision," Aguero said. "[Guardiola] said it was a tactical thing and I obviously respect that.

"When I went in the pitch I tried to give my best and then train hard to be ready for the next game. But no one was in a bad mood."
Indeed, spirits were high across the board among Aguero's team-mates after a definitive European triumph.
"I've experienced many different important nights, and today was another one that not only me but the whole team enjoyed," he added.
"We also could feel the support from the fans, and that was important for our confidence. It was a nice game for the memories."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'Ronaldo was the best player, no doubts' - Portugal star's FIFA snub surprises Santos

The Juventus forward's national team coach has spoken out over the decision to overlook his captain for Best Player and Best Goal Cristiano Ronaldo was the victim of a double injustice at the Best FIFA Football Awards, according to Portugal coach Fernando Santos, after he missed out on both Best Player and Best Goal. Luka Modric became the first player other than Ronaldo or Lionel Messi to win the Best FIFA Footballer of the Year award since Kaka in 2007. The Croatian captained his side to their first ever World Cup final and was voted the tournament’s best player, picking up the Golden Ball. But Santos has spoken out at the decision to give the midfielder the Player of the Year honour over Ronaldo, suggesting his captain and talisman was unfairly beaten into second place. He is quoted in Marca as saying: “If you ask me if Modric is a great player, I answer yes, and that’s why I voted for Modric in second place. Now, if you ask me who is the be...

Nemanja Matic exclusive: Man Utd must win almost every game but title race isn't over

Nemanja Matic refuses to write off Manchester United's chances in the title race Nemanja Matic says Manchester United are not out of the title race, but admits they must win almost every game for the rest of the season to catch Manchester City. Man Utd's 2-1 defeat by rivals City on Sunday left them 11 points behind the Premier League leaders with just 16 games played. Many have been writing City's rivals off, such is the dominance of Pep Guardiola's unbeaten side, but Matic says there is a long way to go yet. W Brom vs Man Utd He told Soccer Saturday : "The gap is big, obviously 11 points is a lot, but the league is not finished. I'm sure there will be very interesting games until the end, and of course that they will drop some points. We will see what will happen. "As I say there are still many games to play and I th...

Zidane has decided to sell Isco (AS)

The French coach has been disappointed by the player and has decided that if he is to remain at the Bernabeu next season, then Isco is to be sold. Late night Spanish football television show 'El Chiringuito' have reported that if Zidane remains at the Bernabeu next season, one of the French coach priorities will be to sell Isco Alarcon. Journalist Josep Pedrerol maintains that Zidane feels disappointed with the Benalmadena born player after depositing his fail in the creative midfielder following the departure of Colombian international James Rodríguez to Bundesliga side Bayern Munich. Favouritism "Isco was deemed as to more of a pivotal player than Colombian but has had a discreet and underwhelming season so far" claimed Pedrerol, after Zidane asked Florentino Pérez to offload James as he preferred to have Isco in his first-team squad. He continued: "Zidane is ahuge admirer of Isco's style of play and wh...